Lotus what? Nah mate, the world has moved on.

Tuesday, 8 July 2014

To the billions of sheeple out there. Why do you keep using Microsoft products?


I do not rant much any more, what's the point? Nobody listens anyway.

Microsoft - &*$)%)$)"" - I hate you.

Don't get me wrong, I have applied for some positions in Microsoft and for the right money I will sell my soul to the devil as my previous colleagues have (all) done. I came close in KL, I even had a desk allocated, but spooked Ananth Lazarus by mentioning Lewis's encounter in a stairwell with Steve Balmer (Doh!). My IBM UK friends will realize the reference and understand the point.

I have always been a maverick without a cause. DOS was not good enough for me, oh no, I had to use CP/M. My least favourite word processor was Displaywriter 2 but I still thought it was better than Wordstar. Then MS Word arrived and it was OK but my struggle started. I was using DOS and the first iterations of OS/2 while those conniving folks at Redmond worked on Windoze to scupper IBM. In hindsight I understand the bitterness having worked for IBM for many years. To speed up my rant and add substance to my deep disdain for anything Microsoft here is a summary of my (seemingly daft in hindsight) career choices.

Network technician connecting 3270's to 3274's and 3174's and connecting them to 3725's and 3745's connected to a 3084Q. IBM sure loves numbers. As a Network manager I favoured OS/2 Lan Manager over Microsoft's Lan Manager and despised Novell Netware. And then that abomination Lotus Notes arrived. The late 1980's was so much fun.

We all realised that IBM was about to ditch OS/2 and in a partner conf call I shouted a bit and then said an ex OS2/er is an ex IBMer and subsequently moved all my customers to Lotus Notes 4.5 that belonged to he Lotus Corporation. Five months later I was in an IBM partner meeting after Lotus was acquired by IBM and the same OS/2 partner IBMers around the table said welcome back, Ray, and laughed uncontrollably. I knew then I could run from IBM but not hide.

I feel better now but the reason for my rant was this:

I need to use hosted Exchange mail (spit spit) so I use Thunderbird as a client. However, for calendaring I have to use that OWA stuff. For ages now I have just taken it for granted that OWA sucks as I can not set the calendar to weekly or monthly etc. So this morning I signed out and tried to unclick the use light version and I could not! What the...

So I signed on to Firefox on Linux Mint and everything worked. What gives? As I said, Microsoft just sucks.

So I found this on My Pissy Rants. http://dpis.dk/2012/03/16/got-outlook-web-app-premium-for-chromiumchrome-on-ubuntu-working/

Use this command: http://ip.nixy.dk/?useragent

I altered:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/34.0.1847.116 Chrome/34.0.1847.116 Safari/537.36

To:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/34.0.1847.116 Chrome/34.0.1847.116 Safari/537.36

I then used User-Agent Switcher for Chrome and now I have full OWA. What the...

Why Microsoft, why? Why put a bit of code in just to annoy Chromium users? Why?

My allegiances are obviously wrong anyway. Nobody wants any IBM software any more and nobody wants to pay for anything opensource. Just yesterday I was told that one of our clients now want to use Microsoft Intune because it is cheap and supports windoze phones. Who has a windoze phone? And the bit that makes my blood boil? Intune supports IOS and Android but you need to pay a huge license fee so it is not cheap any more. How does the company I am working with solve this issue? By putting a blanket ban on all Android devices. That killed my project with one sentence.  Way to go Microsnot. You SUCK!!!!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your opinion is important and of value and we appreciate the positive feedback! If you are "Negative Nancy" then please do us, and humanity, a favor, and piss off.

Total Pageviews

Google+ Followers

Pages

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Recent Comments

Rays Twitter feed

Ads

Web sites come and go and information is lost and therefore some pages are archived. @rayd123 . Powered by Blogger.