Lotus what? Nah mate, the world has moved on.

Monday, 7 May 2007

Fedora Core 6 and IBM's software

A few weeks ago I decided to do a hardware refresh and a software refresh of my internal systems. My internal systems are based on Lotus Notes and other technologies such as PHP.

I decided to use Linux fore a few reasons. Firstly my skill level was not good enough and it is a big part of my job. Secondly I can translate these new skills into goals and objectives for my job.

Also, most of IBM's systems can run on Linux inlcuding Portal and WCM.

What I can say is that it has been an intense learning curve even though I do have quite a bit of Linux/AIX/Solaris knowledge.

So why Fedora? Well of course it is free but it is also the closest to RedHat and that is one of IBM's supported distributions. As an added bonus I should be able to write my RedHat engineering exams as part of my work commitment.

So far Fedora has been great. I have two current servers with more to follow. One has 3GB of memory and the other 4MB. The video card on one is not so great and beryl does not work. Ah well, so no cubes for me.

Both servers have 2 Domino LPARS and three Network interfaces. I have just installed VMWare on both and talk about a learning experience. My next post will help you install VMWare on Fedora 6.

The plan is to ensure both servers can Portal Express and WCM and TAM (Tivoli Access Manager) Lots of work ahead.

:-)

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your opinion is important and of value and we appreciate the positive feedback! If you are "Negative Nancy" then please do us, and humanity, a favor, and piss off.

Total Pageviews

Google+ Followers

Pages

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Recent Comments

Rays Twitter feed

Ads

Web sites come and go and information is lost and therefore some pages are archived. @rayd123 . Powered by Blogger.